Court order detainment of 400 Boko Haram suspects for 90 days
A Federal High Court, Abuja yesterday granted permission to the Department of State Services (DSS) to detain 400 Boko Haram suspects for another 90 days at the Kainji camp.
The suspects, who have been in the custody for about five years since they were arrested, are to remain in the Kainji detention camp till April 10, when their matter will come up before the court.
Justice Babatunde Quadri granted the request brought by the DSS through exparte motion argued by its counsel, Geraldine Okafor that investigations into the terrorism offence allegedly committed by the suspects have not been concluded.
The counsel submitted that although the suspects were arrested about five years ago, investigations could not be completed because the alleged terrorism offence involved other countries, including Niger, Chad and Cameroon.
The suspects were billed to be arraigned yesterday. The counsel told the court that Nigeria and the other countries had raised a joint task force to ensure early completion of investigation into the trans-border terrorism offence.
Although Justice Quadri was furious on the slow pace of the investigation, the counsel assured that the task would be completed before April 10.
The judge said the world was watching Nigeria in respect of the detained suspects, especially for as long as five years. He said the Federal High Court would not allow itself to be used to perpetuate acts that are against the provisions of the constitution.
He charged the DSS to be alive to its responsibilities on the issue of detained persons so as not to run contrary to the law.
Meanwhile, the Theatre Commander of Operation Lafiya Dole, Maj-Gen Rogers Nicholas has handed over the rescued Chibok girl and two others to Governor Kashim Shettima of Borno State at the Government House, Maiduguri for proper registration before handing them over to the Federal Government.
The girls were recently rescued after a four-day coordinated ground and aerial military operations to route the remnants of Boko Haram insurgents from Sambisa Forest.
They are Salomi Pogu (19) and Jamila Adams (14) with a year-old baby led by Jamila’s mother from Pulka in Gwoza Local Government Area of Borno State.
Gen. Nicholas said the stepped up onslaught on the Boko Haram insurgents resulted into the rescue of the girls and a baby. According to him, proper registration has to be done by the state government before they are handed over to their parents and guardians in Chibok and Pulka.
Shettima, who was represented by his deputy, Usman Durkwa, said the state government had been expecting the military to rescue the Chibok school girls that were abducted on April 14, 2014 by insurgents.
He lauded the military and urged them to intensify effort to rescue the remaining 104 abducted girls.