Victims of last week fire incident in Onitsha, Anambra State on Wednesday said the governor, Chief Willie Obiano was yet to visit the market barely a week after the incident occurred.
The traders and landlords also said the major disaster took place at the and not at the Ochanja market as earlier reported in the media.
Speaking to newsmen at the market, leader of the victims, Anthony Okonkwo said it was only the Minister of Labour and Employment, Chris Ngige that had visited them since the incident happened.
He said while they received a million naira support from Ngige, a beggar by the name Ajebo gave them N3,000.
He regretted that people were playing politics with this issue, warning those who were involved to desist or risk the wrath of God.
He said, “It was not the Ochanja market that was gutted by fire. It was only two adjoining shops on the Emordi, Amobi and Zik Avenue that were affected.
“That was why those who visited the market were going to the leadership of the Ochanja market instead of those of us directly affected.
“We are surprised that our governor has not visited us since the incident occurred. Those who are playing politics with the disaster are feeding him with lies.
“Only Dr Chris Ngige and one beggar by the name Ajebo had given us financial support. While Ngige gave N1m, the beggar gave us N3,000.”
Earlier, the Onitsha Local Government Area Chairman, Emeka Asonya, pledge to ensure details those who truly lost their goods and property in the inferno were properly documented for necessary assistance.
He also promised construction of four boreholes at strategic points in the market to forestall future recurrence as well as ensure those who were renovating their shops did not lack water.
“I’m challenged that some of the traders have already started rebuilding their destroyed shops. That’s the resilient spirit which is peculiar with the Igbo.
“You are free to make use of the water from the borehole when completed at no cost. Our prayers is that such incident will never happen again,” he said